Towball Weight Scale
Towball weight scale for a boat trailer or caravan is the only way to keep your tow ball weight constant.
When loading your caravan with perishables, your tow ball weight changes if your perishables are not packed evenly over your axles, in the case of boats, stored fuel creates all sorts of dynamic changes to your towing.
A well-balanced rig helps prevent camper and caravan sway.
Min Weight – 100kg
Max Weight – 350kg
What is the best brand of tow ball caravan scales?
How do I re-calculate my ATM?
Taking our rig to a weighbridge, drive your car off the bridge so you are only weighing your caravan.
Grab your weighbridge certificate. So you have an official certificate with your trailer weight?
Yes, but you are not finished yet because you have only measured the axle group.
Unhitch your caravan and use the tow ball weight scale and weigh the head weight of the coupler. (take a photo)
Add the weight of the axle group to the weight from the tow ball scales and you now have your trailer ATM.
How you can go to your caravan certifier, show them the weighbridge certificate and the photo of the head weight. Your certifier now has enough information to commence the re-rating process.
If your trailer ATM is overweight then you know how much weight you must shed or alternative, upgrade to stronger running gear.
How does the tow ball caravan scale work?
Measure your tow ball weight when new or unloaded, then ensure your new loads (water, waste, food, beer) do not change your tow ball weight.
Essential, how so?
Light Tow Ball
The tow ball weight of your caravan or boat trailer is essential to stop your caravan or boat trailer from swaying.
A light tow ball weight causes excessive sway and in some cases, makes your boat or caravan un-towable.
Heavy Tow Ball?
If your tow ball weight is too heavy then your car suspension can be overloaded causing your headlights to be too high and your boot too close to the ground. It can also create light and unresponsive steering.
The best-recommended minimum coupler head weight for towing caravans, trailers and campers (no lower):
- Tandem Axle Coupling = 5% – 7% of the ATM
- Single Axle Coupling = 7% – 10% of the ATM
The above percentages may be controversial. I suggest you try them and you may find out that mechanical weight or load levellers become redundant.
A correctly weighted caravan or camper towed in conjunction with electronic stabilisers should not require load levellers or friction couplings.
Heavier tow ball weights may lift your headlights and lighten your steering.
Have you ever felt your caravan pushing your car through traffic lights?
Yes, your coupling weight is too heavy. Why?
The vehicle manufacturer has adjusted the headlights to the maximum recommended tow ball weight. Excess tow ball weight alters the headlight maximum allowed altitude when driving on the highway.
With an overloaded tow ball height your tow bar, the vehicle front suspension become light preventing safe steerage.
Weigh Safe Scales
While tow ball scales are an excellent tool for finding the perfect coupler head weight.
This type of scale uses a similar load cell used by Forklift and other commercial load scales.
Dynamic loads are those loads where changes in weight associated with water, sullage and food loads change during a trip.
Before commencing your journey each morning, a small amount of the load may need to be shifted in the caravan to obtain optimum towing head weight.
A massive head coupler head weight causes high headlights and m00ore substantial front car spring suspension than usual.
First-time use of 2000kg Boat Trailer
The first time you use the tow ball weight scale, estimate your tow ball weight before you jack down your jockey wheel into the tow ball scale. If you watch the video, the first time use of the tow ball scale can be quite surprising.
Using the 5% formula, my coupler weight was estimated to be 100kg.
I could not believe my actual weight was 200kg, that is 100kg over my estimate. I was accidentally placing more weight and stress on my vehicle.
What a surprise. I quickly adjusted the coupling weight by moving my boat back only 1″. Easy to do, loosen the bolts on the winch post and moved the winch post backwards by 25mm.
The best recommended towing rigs setups are as follows
- Tandem Axle Coupling = 5% to 7% of the ATM
- Single Axle Coupling = 7% to 10% of the ATM
A caravan might take a bit more moving essentials in the cupboards.
Please leave a review and tell me your thoughts about this tow ball caravan scale.
How to set up your tow ball weight scale
- We always recommend the best place to start is with a weighbridge certificate so you can set your tow ball weights, tyre pressures and organise your caravan correctly for towing.
- Check your VIN plate against your weighbridge certificate.
- Slip your tow ball scales under your trailer coupling.
- 5% for tandem axle caravans and 7% for single axle trailers ideal. More than 7% is pushing the limits and possibly the limits of your car’s suspension.
- You may be able to arrange a change of weight distribution in your caravan by moving weight forward or backward of the axle. Example, 2000kg trailer with 300kg ball weight is too heavy. Move 50-70kg backward of the axles reduces your ball weight. You move the weight from your car suspension through the coupling to your caravan suspension.
Test your new setup by merely towing your caravan on the highway. You should not experience sway at 80 km even when passing heavy vehicles.
- Measures the ball weight of your caravan or trailer up to 350kg
- Ideal for determining the correct Hayman Reese weight distribution system to use
- Easy to read weight gauge
- Rounded ends to fit all couplings
- Calibrated scale using an internal spring mechanism
- Powder-coated steel
- Full instructions for use and set up
- Retail-friendly packaging
Towball weight scale remedies
- If you are heavy on the scales, shift weight from the front of the axle set to a more central location. This action will lower the weight onto your tow ball, allowing your vehicle to become lighter and therefore brake more effectively.
- If you are light on the tow ball scales, then your trailer will sway on the highway. Put more weight forward of your front axle.
Finally, if your caravan is not level with the towing vehicle tow bar, a high shoulder tow ball may give you enough lift for your rig to pull level and true.
Put a level on your caravan chassis rail and line up your tow bar with your coupling.
What is the distance when both tow ball and coupling being level?
If it is level then great however if not, then you may need a 25mm or 50mm lift. These high should tow balls are perfect for straight and effective towing. Click the image and add it to your cart.
There are one size extra height shoulder shanks, 25mm.
Couplemate Trailer Parts sells only the best quality Towball Coupler Weight Scale and caravan spare parts throughout Australia.
Customers are welcome to either pickup or take advantage of our low freight rates. Express shipping to Melbourne, Sydney, Brisbane, Perth, Adelaide, Darwin, and Hobart.
We also ship products to New Zealand via Australia Post Air Express.
© Steve Wotherspoon July 20, 2020. Images and text may be copied, provided a link back to the copied page and the source is displayed where the content or image is located.