Video | 12-inch Electric Backing Plate Brake Kit | HIghway | Off-Road
12-inch Electric Backing Plate Drum Brake Assembly suits Al-ko, Dexter and VC 2t and 3t brake hub drums.
Note: The use of larger cable greatly reduces voltage loss and improved braking performance.
- Select from Highway or Off-Road magnets.
- Backing Plate parts are available here.
- Premium off-road electric drum brake kit is rated to 2,500kg per pair.
- We recommend installing the hand brake mechanism on the TOP side of the backing plate. (12 o’clock)
Install Use 6mm to 10mm trailer cable for electric trailer brakes.
- 6mm Electric cable measures the cross-sectional area.
- 10mm Automotive cable measures the circumference.
Do not wire electric brakes across the axle. INstall wiring down each chassis rail separately for the highest voltage or lower voltage losses.
The wiring of electric brakes made easy provides some great information on tips and tricks.
Parking brake lever
- Al-ko model is horizontal.
- Dexter model is vertical.
Why can’t I run the electric cable across my axle?
Click this link to check the correct cable size for your installation
- Rundown each chassis rail = 6mtr @ 6.4 Amps per pair of magnets = 5.62mm cable size
- Run down the chassis trailer (inside) = 6 metre + 2 metre (8mtr) @ 6.4 Amps per pair of magnets = 7.5mm cable size
To resolve voltage drop, run electric cabling down each of the chassis rails.
A broad range of parts and accessories is available for this product.
- Purchase replacement 12″ Off-road electric magnets here.
- Purchase replacement 12″ electric brake shoes here.
TIP: Sometimes it is easier to buy new 12-inch backing plates rather than replace worn 12″ brake shoes and brake magnets. Parts like magnet arms will also need replacing as will springs that hold the brake shoes.