Electric Brake Magnets | Dexter Brakes | AL-KO Brakes
Trailer Caravan Electric Brake and AL-KO | Dexter off-road magnet is suited to all-electric brake systems except for older round magnet brake systems.
How to check magnet wear
- Check the four small holes on top of the magnet.
- These holes are warning indicators that display magnet wear.
- If there are no holes or less than 4 holes.
- Then the face of the magnet hole has worn then it is time to replace the magnet.
- Wear holes are at 3 pm, 6 pm, 9 pm and 12.
- Magnets draw approximately 3.2 amps each
- Wires can be connected either positive or negative.
Once worn, copper begins to become exposed, subsequently, an open electric circuit will render the brakes inoperable.
- New magnets need to be bedded into position before 100% of braking is achieved.
- The magnet face is a shiny finish.
- This finish needs to be scuffed up during the initial stages of breaking before your magnets become 100% effective.
Why can’t I run the electric cable across my axle?
Click this link to check the correct cable size for the installation
- Rundown each chassis rail = 6mtr @ 6.4 Amps per pair of magnets = 5.62mm cable size
- Run down the chassis trailer (inside) = 6 meter + 2 mete (8mtr) @ 6.4 Amps per pair of magnets = 7.5mm cable size
To escape voltage drop, run the cabling down the chassis rail.
We recommend using a Tekonsha Primus or Prodigy or a Chassis Mounted brake controller (Qld and NT Only).
For chassis-mounted brake systems, do not wire electric brakes into the brake light circuit. Incandescent brake light circuits provide 21 watts of power and can be used as a control circuit only for chassis-mounted controllers. If you have purchased a caravan or camper with brakes wired into the brake lights, then the braking system is working at less than 25% of their efficiency.
All brake controllers are wired from the battery. In most cases, the brake controller has a relay that is powered by the brake lights.
If brake lights are used to power brake controllers, significant voltage losses will occur resulting in brakes operating less than 25% capacity.
It is permissible to wire chassis controllers from the onboard battery in the caravan because this battery is often powered from the main car battery.
Electric OffRoad Magnet Kit
10-inch AL-KO OffRoad electric brake magnet (genuine) to suit all AL-KO and some Dexter electric backing plates.
The lifespan for offroad magnets greatly exceeds the life cycle of standard offroad magnets.
The lastest AL-KO IQ7 brake actuator uses an offroad magnet to increase the reliability within the brake actuation system.
Why do offroad magnets last longer?
- The steel magnet arm causes the steel magnet on a standard highway magnet to rattle causing wear.
- The plastic insert on the Al-ko off-road magnet prevents the same wear under the same conditions.
The 10-inch AL-KO OffRoad Electric Brake Magnet has been extensively tested in typically harsh Australian conditions and has proven that it is durable, reliable and will not let you down even in the toughest terrain.
Difference between Highway and Offroad Magnets
- Electric Highway brake magnet uses a retaining clip to hold the magnet into position on the magnet arm.
- Off-Road Electric brake magnet uses a RUBBER BAND to hold the magnet into position on the magnet arm.
The rubber band breaks on first use and relies on the return spring to hold the magnet.
Left side and right side magnets are not interchangeable.
- The left side is the passenger’s side
- The right side is the driver side
The purpose of the rubber band is to hold the magnet into position to allow drum installation onto the axle profile, then tighten.
If the magnet needs replacing or upgrading from a standard magnet, then it may be wise to replace the whole backing plate.
The magnet in the third image was a standard magnet used on corrugated.
All 10-inch AL-KO OffRoad Electric Brake Magnet has a plastic insert that prevents the magnet arm causing damage to the magnet from corrugated road vibrations. (Image 2).
As a result, AL-KO offroad magnets continue to show no wear tens of thousands of miles on corrugated roads.
Safety Chain Checks
Important safety check or tandem wheel caravans. With the chains attached to your vehicle, push your caravan back to the extremity of the chains.
Finally, did the pin on your breakaway kit disengage?
12″ Electric Brake Magnet – Standard
All 12-inch electric magnets have white cables. If the magnet has green cables, they are 10″ magnets.
12-inch Electric Brake Oval Magnet are suited to all 2t electric brake systems except older round magnet brake systems.
Purchase 12-inch replacement parts below.
Dexter 12″ Brake Magnet
Dexter 12″ Magnet 2t suit left hand and right-hand dexter electric backing plates.
However, if you require 12″ offroad Dexter Magnets then you need to purchase the Alko offroad magnet and adjust your magnet arm to suit the magnet.
In Addition, AL-KO does not make 12″ Dexter Offroad magnets.
Finally, purchase 12-inch replacement parts below.