9 inch Mechanical Brake Plate. Have two identical shoes. There is no primary shoe or secondary shoe as in electrical backing plates.
However, please pay attention to the shoes below as they are offset when installing into a drum.
Locate the handbrake on the bottom of the axle.
9 inch mechanical brake plate recommended loads
13 inch to 14-inch wheels 1450kg. 15 inch to 16-inch wheels is 1200kg
9 inch x 45mm. Maximum cable tension during braking is 165kg. Hole spacings are 76.15mm pcd
Occasionally, it is better to replace the whole backing plate as other components may be showing wear.
The job becomes easier removing a few bolts then replacing the whole backing plate. Entire backing plates are relatively inexpensive.
9 inch Brake Shoe Replacement
- Take off the wheel, remove the grease cap and split pin and take off the drum.
- Remove the worn brake shoes.
- Keep the springs in a container ready for re-insertion.
- Check that there is grease on the backing plate under the lever assembly (at the bottom), use molybdenum grease as required.
- Assemble the new shoes to the backing plate with the springs between the shoes as shown in the image below.
- The longer spring must be assembled in the lower position, the shorter spring in the top position. Note that left-hand side brakes are a mirror image to right-hand side brakes.
Fit the drum over the brake shoes and reassemble.