9-inch Mechanical Brake Plate – Suits 9-inch Drums
9-inch mechanical brake plate is cable actuated at the brake lever causing two identical shoes to apply a braking force into a cast-iron brake drum.
Brake shoes and brake discs are known as friction brakes. Vehicle brakes are also friction brakes; however, these braking systems may be hydraulic or electric brakes.
Installation of the Brake Shoes
However, please pay attention to the shoe offset below when installing into a drum.
Locate the handbrake on the bottom of the axle.
13 inch to 14-inch wheels 1450kg. 15 inch to 16-inch wheels is 1200kg
9-inch x 45mm. Maximum cable tension during braking is 165kg. Hole spacings are 76.15mm P.C.D.
Occasionally, it is better to replace the whole backing plate as other components may be showing wear. A four-hole post mount fixes mechanical braking plates welded to the axle, behind the rear grease seal.
The job becomes more manageable, removing a few bolts then replacing the whole backing plate. Entire backing plates are relatively inexpensive.
How to replace 9 inch Brake Shoes
- Take off the wheel, remove the grease cap and split pin and take off the drum.
- Remove the worn brake shoes.
- Keep the springs in a container ready for re-insertion.
- Check that there is grease on the backing plate under the lever assembly (at the bottom), use molybdenum grease as required.
- Assemble the new backing plate shoes with the springs between the shoes, as shown in the image above.
- The longer spring must be assembled in the lower position, the shorter spring in the top place. Note that left-hand side brakes are a mirror image to right-hand side brakes.
Fit the drum over the brake shoes and reassemble.
Why do my trailer brakes fade?
- Dirt, oil or grease on the brake shoes – clean
- Worn brakes shoes – replace
- Badly adjust brake shoes – adjust
- Trailer overloaded causing brakes to overheat – reduce trailer weight or upgrade trailer.
Couplemate Trailer Parts sells only the best quality 9 inch Mechanical Backing Plate and caravan spare parts throughout Australia.
Customers are welcome to either pickup or take advantage of our low freight rates. Express shipping to Melbourne, Sydney, Brisbane, Perth, Adelaide, Darwin, and Hobart.
We also ship products to New Zealand via Australia Post Air Express.
© Steve Wotherspoon April 11, 2014. Images and text may be copied, provided a link back to the copied page and the source is displayed where the content or image is located.