Safety Chain, Hammerlock and Holder Kit
Safety Chain, Hammerlock and Holder Kit include:
- 10mm option: one set to suit trailers up to 2.5t.
- 13mm option: two sets to suit trailers over 2.5t.
Galvanised chains and shackles are illegal on all trailers over 3.5t. Trailers over 2.5t require two safety chains.
It is essential to remember.
- No chain welding over 2.5t
- No chain welding below the chassis rails. Weld safety chains horizontally.
Trailers up to 2.5 tonnes ATM must have at least one safety chain complying with AS 4177.4 - 1994 (Trailer and light trailer towing components – Safety chains up to 3.5 tonnes capacity) or as amended from time to time.
This standard allows for steel safety chains by the following
- up to 1.0 tonne, a chain size of 6.3 mm
- up to 1.6 tonnes, a chain size of 8 mm
- from 1.6t to 2.5t, with a chain size of 10 mm
Trailers over 2.5 and up to 3.5 tonnes ATM must have two safety chains complying with AS 4177.4 - 1994 or as amended foccasionally This standard allows for steel safety chains by the following:
• up to 3.5 tonnes, a chain size of 13 mm.
Safety Chain Kits for Caravan and Trailers
- more than 3.5 tonnes ATM,
- all medium and heavy category pig trailers with rigid drawbars,
- any other trailers without breakaway brakes
- and all fixed and rigid pig trailers with a GTM higher than 2.5 tonnes and fitted with automatic pin-type couplings,
Purchase attachments for Dee Shackles
- Rated Bow Shackles – 4WD
- Rated Dee Shackle
- Dee Shackles and Safety Chains
- Safety Chain Holder for Aluminium Chassis
- Safety Chain Holder to 3.5t
- Hammerlock to suit Galvanised Safety Chain
Finally, Trailer Safety Chain Key Points
- 10mm Chain Holders can be welded to trailers up to 2.5t
- Safety Chain must be affixed to holders via a Hammerlock or Cam Lock
- Dee Shackles are prohibited for use when securing a safety chain to a trailer