Shackle Bolts, Caravan Trailer Kits
Shackle bolts for caravans and trailers sold by Couplemate are high tensile 9/16″, 5/8″, M16, M18 or M20.
Suits 45mm or 60mm eye to eye with nylon bushes or shackle springs with steel bushes (Al-ko Outback rebound Series.)
How do I measure my shackle bolt?
Measure from the tip of the thread to the underside of the hex head.
Worn Hangers (5/8″ or 16mm)
Yes, there is a fix for this problem.
- Standard hangers use a 4″ shackle bolt, measured from under the head to the thread’s top.
- Cut the head off a centre hanger leaving 2 x halves left.
- Use a 4.5″ shackle bolt (701062) and bolt the two halves over the existing hanger.
- Weld the two 1/2 plates over the old worn hangers.
- The problem is now fixed.
Sizes on offer
- 1/2″ Case Hardened – 3.5″
- 9/16″ Non-Greasable – 3.5″
- 9/16″ Greasable – 3.5″
- 5/8″ Greasable Short – 3.5″
- 16mm Non-Greasable – 100mm
- 16mm Greasable – 100mm
- 5/8″ Greasable Long – 4.50″
- 18mm Rocker Roller – 100mm
- 18mm – Standard Tandem – 100mm (Al-ko Standard Tandem 710 springs)
- 20mm – 100mm
The 16mm Greaseable Bolt suits various leaf springs where a situation of metal on metal exists. For example, rocker springs and outback springs have a metal roller or bush that requires a greaseable bolt.
Non-greaseable bolts fit inside a self-lubricating nylon bush and do not need grease. If your springs have nylon bushes, it is not advisable to change your pin to greaseable.
The knurl under the head has a particular purpose. The knurl locks into the shackle plate to help prevent the bolt from spinning during spring compressions. Broken welds are a good sign the bolts need replacement.
The knurl is welded onto the shackle plate on standard tandem and outback trailer springs to stop the bolt from turning. With a rotating bolt in the shackle plate, wear significantly increases.
How to tighten suspension bolts.
- Tighten 16mm x 100mm greaseable bolt until home.
- Back off 1/4 turn.
- You need a small space between your shackle plates and spring; otherwise, you will develop an annoying squeak.
- This squeak is due to no tolerance between shackle plates and spring.
Purchase standard 4″ Bolt kits from our trailer parts range here.
Replacement Shackle Bolts, Caravan Trailer Kits
Couplemate Trailer Parts sells only the best quality Shackle Bolts and caravan spare parts throughout Australia.
Customers are welcome to either pickup or take advantage of our low freight rates. Express shipping to Melbourne, Sydney, Brisbane, Perth, Adelaide, Darwin, and Hobart.
We also ship products to New Zealand via Australia Post Air Express.
© Steve Wotherspoon September 13, 2015. Images and text may be copied, provided a link back to the copied page and the source is displayed where the content or image is located.