6mm slipper spring 45mm wide is suitable for metropolitan travel while 60mm springs are most suited to high-speed travel under heavier loads.
This style of spring has the traditional eye and a tail that slides in a keeper or hanger welded to the chassis of the trailer.
45mm Spring Rating:
- 3 Leaf – 300kg
- 4 Leaf – 450kg
- 5 Leaf – 500kg
- 6 Leaf – 600kg
- 7 Leaf – 675kg
- 9 Leaf – 800kg
6mm Slipper Spring Specifications
- 765mm Eye to Tail.
- 6mm Leaf Thickness
- 1/2 inch x 7/8 inch x 45mm bush.
- Free Camber 150mm
- Eye to Center Bolt 330mm
- Hanger Centers 700mm
Pro Tip: It is not uncommon to see Denso tape wrapped around springs on commercial fishermen trailers. We have seen Denso tape on trailer springs last 20 years. However, many buyers prefer to buy Galvanised springs.
45mm wide boat springs, 6mm leaf thickness are suitable for metropolitan travel.
45mm x 6mm slipper springs trailer springs are suitable for metropolitan travel. Spring twisting can occur due to a combination of load centre of gravity, weight, cornering and shock loading caused by badly maintained roads.
Slipper Spring Derating
Slipper springs are rated at 120% of full load for all single, tandem and tri-axle sets.
Example, tandem trailer weighing 2,000kg x 120@ = 2,400kg
Axles, springs and associated equipment must rate a total of 2,400kg
Why de-rate trailer slipper springs?
- Normally it is common practice to use 2 x 40mm Square axles on a 2000kg trailer? Wrong.
- 6mm slipper springs do not load share, they do not transfer load across both axles.
- For example, each wheel in the above example has a loading of 2,000kg / 4 wheels or 500kg per wheel.
- Mount a gutter using only one wheel and you will find the wheel on the same side is lifted off the ground.
The wheel OFF the ground is carrying zero kg.
The wheel on the ground is carrying 1,000kg, whilst the other two wheels on the ground are carrying 1,000kg.
The axle with wheels on the ground is carrying 1,500kg.
If you want your trailer to have a nice smooth ride try shackle or even better, rocker roller springs.
I noticed the shock loading on the trailer from roadside potholes was not as severe on the trailer.
Although the trailer slipper springs are a good low-budget solution, however, if your budget allows, consider buying shackle or rocker roller springs.
Purchase your slipper springs below:
- 6mm Galvanised Slipper Spring – 765mm
- 8mm Slipper Spring – 710mm
- 8mm Galvanised Slipper Spring – 710mm
- 60mm Caravan Slipper Spring – 765mm
Purchase your 45mm shackle springs below:
- 635mm Shackle Springs – Black and Galvanised
- 45mm Shackle Spring – 710
- 45mm Shackle Galvanised Spring – 710
- Shackle Offset Spring 45mm – 710
- 45mm Shackle Offset Galvanised Spring – 710
- 45mm Al-ko Millard 7-leaf Shackle Spring 835mm
6mm Slipper Spring is commonly used on household trailers
Couplemate Trailer Parts sells only the best quality 6mm Slipper Spring – 765mm Long and caravan spare parts throughout Australia.
Customers are welcome to either pickup or take advantage of our low freight rates. Express shipping to Melbourne, Sydney, Brisbane, Perth, Adelaide, Darwin, and Hobart.
We also ship products to New Zealand via Australia Post Air Express.
© Steve Wotherspoon February 6, 2015. Images and text may be copied, provided a link back to the copied page and the source is displayed where the content or image is located.