Last updated on December 3rd, 2019 at 04:18 pm
8mm Slipper springs 45mm wide with 8mm leaf spring are suitable highway travel while 60mm springs are suited to high-speed travel and heavier trailer loads.
Slipper Spring Specifications
- 710mm Eye to Tail.
- 8mm leaf Thickness
- 9/16 inch x 7/8 inch x 45mm bush.
- Free Camber 150mm
- Eye to Center Bolt 330mm
- Hanger Centers 670mm
Rated caravan and trailer slipper springs at 120% of full load for all single, tandem and tri-axle sets.
Example, tandem trailer weighing 2,000kg x 120@ = 2,400kg
Axles, leaf springs and associated equipment must rate a total of 2,400kg.
Where is the rear hanger located?
Three key factors are essential to correctly locate the tyre on the trailer and correctly install the leaf spring.
- Locate the spring centre bolt in the centre of the wheel arch.
- Install front hanger in a location that centres the spring in the middle of the wheel arch.
- Lastly, the rear hanger is position so that it is halfway along the slipper section.
The slipper tail must have enough room in the keeper to safely allow the spring to compress and rebound.
Heavy-duty slipper springs ratings as follow:-
- 3 Leaf – 850kg per pair
- 4 Leaf – 1100kg per pair
- 5 Leaf – 1350kg per pair
- 6 Leaf – 1500kg per pair
- 7 Leaf – 1700kg per pair
Usually, it is common practice to use 2 x 40mm Square axles on a 2000kg trailer? Wrong.
Slipper leaf springs do not load share; they do not transfer load across the entire axle configuration.
Example, each wheel in the above case has a loading of 2,000kg / 4 tyres or 500kg per wheel.
The wheel OFF the ground is carrying zero kg
The tyre on the ground load is 1,000kg, while the other two wheels on the ground carry 1,000kg of the remaining load.
The axle with wheels on the ground is carrying 1,500kg.
Although the trailer slipper springs are an excellent low-budget solution, however, if your budget allows considering shackle or rocker roller springs.
Purchase your 45mm slipper springs below:
- 6mm Slipper Spring | 765mm
- 6mm Galvanised Slipper Spring | 765mm
- 8mm Galvanised Slipper Spring | 710mm
Purchase your 45mm shackle springs below:
- 635mm Shackle Springs | Black and Galvanised
- 45mm Shackle Spring | 710
- 45mm Shackle Galvanised Spring | 710
- Shackle Offset Spring 45mm | 710
- 45mm Shackle Offset Galvanised Spring | 710
- 45mm Al-ko Millard 7-leaf Shackle Spring 835mm
- Rocker Roller Spring 45mm x 605mm
- Galvanised Rocker Roller Spring | Boat Trailers