8mm Slipper springs 45mm wide with 8mm leaf spring are suitable highway travel while 60mm springs are suited to high-speed travel and heavier trailer loads.
This style of spring has the traditional eye and a tail which slides in a keeper or hanger welded to the chassis of the trailer.
Slipper Spring Specifications
- 710mm Eye to Tail.
- 45mm wide x 8mm thick leaves
- 9/16 inch x 7/8 inch x 45mm bush.
- Free Camber 150mm
- Eye to Center Bolt 330mm
- Hanger Centers 670mm
Pro Tip: It is not uncommon to see Denso tape wrapped around springs on commercial fishermen trailers. We have seen Denso tape on trailer springs last 20 years. However, many buyers prefer to buy Galvanised springs.
Rated caravan and trailer slipper springs at 120% of full load for all single, tandem and tri-axle sets.
Example, tandem trailer weighing 2,000kg x 120@ = 2,400kg
Axles, leaf springs and associated equipment must rate a total of 2,400kg.
Where is the rear hanger located?
Three key factors are essential to correctly locate the tyre on the trailer and correctly install the leaf spring.
- Locate the spring centre bolt in the centre of the wheel arch.
- Install front hanger in a location that centres the spring in the middle of the wheel arch.
- Lastly, the rear hanger is position so that it is halfway along the slipper section.
The slipper tail must have enough room in the keeper to safely allow the spring to compress and rebound.
Heavy-duty slipper springs ratings as follow:-
- 3 Leaf – 425kg each
- 4 Leaf – 550kg each
- 5 Leaf – 675kg each
- 6 Leaf – 750kg each
- 7 Leaf – 850kg each
Usually, it is common practice to load share using 2 x 40mm Square axles on a multi axle trailer? Wrong.
Slipper leaf springs do not load share; they do not transfer load across the entire axle configuration.
Example, each wheel in the above case has a loading of 2,000kg / 4 tyres or 500kg per wheel.
The wheel OFF the ground is carrying zero kg
The tyre on the ground load is 1,000kg, while the other two wheels on the ground carry 1,000kg of the remaining load.
The axle with wheels on the ground is carrying 1,500kg.
Although the trailer slipper springs are an excellent low-budget solution, however, if your budget allows considering shackle or rocker roller springs.
Purchase your 45mm slipper springs below:
- 6mm Slipper Spring – 765mm
- 6mm Galvanised Slipper Spring – 765mm
- 8mm Galvanised Slipper Spring – 710mm
Purchase your 45mm shackle springs below:
- 635mm Shackle Springs – Black and Galvanised
- 45mm Shackle Spring – 710
- 45mm Shackle Galvanised Spring – 710
- Shackle Offset Spring 45mm – 710
- 45mm Shackle Offset Galvanised Spring – 710
- 45mm Al-ko Millard 7-leaf Shackle Spring 835mm
- Rocker Roller Spring 45mm x 605mm
- Galvanised Rocker Roller Spring – Boat Trailers
8mm Slipper Springs for Trailers, Caravans and Boat Trailers
Couplemate Trailer Parts sells only the best quality 8mm Slipper Spring – 710mm Long and caravan spare parts throughout Australia.
Customers are welcome to either pickup or take advantage of our low freight rates. Express shipping to Melbourne, Sydney, Brisbane, Perth, Adelaide, Darwin, and Hobart.
We also ship products to New Zealand via Australia Post Air Express.
© Steve Wotherspoon February 8, 2015. Images and text may be copied, provided a link back to the copied page and the source is displayed where the content or image is located.