Last updated on January 19th, 2020 at 10:04 am
Tailgate ramp loader spring to suit horse float ramps and small low loaders.
How to select the correct size tailgate spring
Often folks pick the most significant size to make sure the spring is heavy enough for the lift required.
Once installed, with the heavier spring, the tailgate swings up so violently that it slams into the trailer with enough force to create damage.
Buying the correct ramp spring is simple if you follow a few steps.
- You will need a scale, perhaps a bathroom scale
- Lower the ramp onto the scale
- You now have the weight measurement of the ramp
- Select a size of spring that is 10kg more substantial than the scale indication.
- Once installed, the load on your ramp will be 10kg at the point where it touches the ground
The video below shows one method of installation
- 14mm – 40kg
- 16mm – 60kg
- 19mm – 100kg
- Small tail – 150mm from centre of the coil
- Long-tail – 70cm from the centre of the coil
- Coil OD – 80mm
- Coil ID – 55mm