10mm Safety Chain and Holder suit trailers up to 2.5t. Two chains per trailer or caravan are required on all trailers over 2.5t.
Galvanised Chain and shackles are illegal on all trailers over 3.5t.
It is essential to remember
- No chain welding over 2.5t
- No chain welding below the chassis rails.
Trailers up to 2.5 tonnes ATM must have at least one safety chain complying with AS 4177.4 – 1994 (Trailer and light trailer towing components – Safety chains up to 3.5 tonnes capacity), or as amended from time to time. This standard allows for steel safety chains in accordance with the following:
• up to 1.0 tonne, a chain size of 6.3 mm; • up to 1.6 tonnes, a chain size of 8 mm; • from 1.6t to 2.5t, a chain size of 10 mm.
Trailers over 2.5 and up to 3.5 tonnes ATM must have two safety chains complying with AS 4177.4 – 1994 or as amended from time to time. This standard allows for steel safety chains in accordance with the following:
• up to 3.5 tonnes, a chain size of 13 mm.
- in excess of 3.5 tonnes ATM,
- all medium and heavy category pig trailers with rigid drawbars,
- any other trailers without breakaway brakes
- and all fixed and rigid pig trailers with a GTM greater than 2.5 tonnes and fitted with automatic pin type couplings,
must be fitted with safety chains.