Trailer Side Safety Chain With Hammerlock and Holder.
- One set to suit trailers up to 2.5t
- Trailers over 2.5t require two sets.
Galvanised Chain and shackles are illegal on all trailers over 3.5t.
It is essential to remember
- No chain welding over 2.5t
- No chain welding below the chassis rails.
Trailers up to 2.5 tonnes ATM must have at least one safety chain complying with AS 4177.4 – 1994 (Trailer and light trailer towing components – Safety chains up to 3.5 tonnes capacity), or as amended from time to time. This standard allows for steel safety chains by the following:
- up to 1.0 tonne, a chain size of 6.3 mm;
- up to 1.6 tonnes, a chain size of 8 mm;
- from 1.6t to 2.5t, a chain size of 10 mm.
Trailers over 2.5 and up to 3.5 tonnes ATM must have two safety chains complying with AS 4177.4 – 1994 or as amended from time to time. This standard allows for steel safety chains by the following:
- up to 3.5 tonnes, a chain size of 13 mm.
- more than 3.5 tonnes ATM,
- all medium and heavy category pig trailers with rigid drawbars,
- any other trailers without breakaway brakes
- and all fixed and rigid pig trailers with a GTM greater than 2.5 tonnes and fitted with automatic pin type couplings,
Must be fitted with safety chains.
Finally, Key Points
- 10mm Chain Holders can be welded to trailers up to 2.5t.
- Safety Chain must be affixed to holders via a Hammerlock or Cam Lock.
- Dee Shackles are prohibited for use when securing a safety chain to a trailer.