Last updated on January 11th, 2020 at 12:25 pm
Electric caravan coupling includes a park brake lever. In our opinion, the Alko® electric caravan coupling is, without doubt, the most popular brand of caravan coupling money can buy.
- 3.5t Al-ko® coupling
- Hole spacing is 182.5mm x 55mm – 4 x 13.5mm holes.
- Cable kit not included (CM791)
The Al-ko® 3.5t electric caravan coupling is simple to attach and complies with Australian Standard 4177.3
- Coupling Head Adjustment Screw and Nut
- Coupling Head Tongue Assembly Alko
- Trigger – Spring – Roll Pin
Your coupling must have these words on it to comply with Australian Standards.
- Manufacturers Mark
- AS 4177.3
Electric Coupling 3500kg Rated with 1/2 inch BSW ball adjusting nut.
The adjustment nut on the head of the coupling is a 1/2″ BSW thread.
This nut prevents the Electric Coupling jumping on the tow-ball and creates and tight fit by removing slop that can occur through wear,
Electric Caravan Coupling Adjustment:
To properly adjust this nut;
- Put pressure on the Electric Coupling head so that it is firmly on the tow-ball.
- Loosen the nut.
- Screw down the thread so that you can feel it touch the top of the tow ball.
- Now tighten the locking nut being careful not to unscrew the threaded screw.
Finally, you have a cable adjust to check.
The cable running down to each handbrake lever should be tight but not overly tight. Adjust the cable brake adjuster just behind your handbrake until this cable is taut.
One final thing, your coupling weight, when attached, should be around 8% of your total load. Your coupling should now be tight and ready to tow.
Sure, there are cheaper couplings on the market. We buy and recommend only the best products for your investment dollar.