50mm square axle is the axle of choice to tow your rig straight and true. Vibration fatigue is never going to happen on this axle loaded to 2.25t.
Couplemate manufacturers axles from BlueScope steel in our Wynnum, Brisbane workshops.
50mm Square Solid Axle rating
- Holden Bearing Profile – 1,000kg Max
- Ford Bearing Profile – 1,450kg Max
- Dexter Bearing Profile – 1,590kg Max
- Ford Parallel Bearing Profile – 1,600kg Max
- Al-ko Bearing Profile – 2,250kg Max
- Dexter Bearing Profile – 2,250kg Max
- Al-ko Bearing Profile – 3,000kg Max
Note: Please advise your axle length, either tip to tip length or face to face measurement and axle profile after ordering. Example 2t, 3t, parallel, slimline.
So where does this steel come from?
Newcastle in New South Wales continues its rolling bar mill that pulls its feedstock from Whyalla in South Australia.
The other major arm of the Newcastle steel industry is Commonwealth Steel at Waratah, NSW. This wire works mill pulls its steel from 1000 car bodies per day.
Australian Steel is a fascinating story. Such a pity the Television media reporting on Australian success stories is not better supported.
Calculating The Correct Axle Measurements
As a result of viewing the video above, calculate the face to face measurement.
- Measure the offset wheel. The wheel offset is the distance between the inside of the hub and the outside of the rubber.
- Add 50 mm to the offset. Alternatively, choose your own distance between the rubber and the chassis.
- Multiply by 2 for both sides. Add your chassis width to the above number.
Metric to Imperial ConverterConvert Imperial (inches) to metric (mm)
Still unsure of what measurements to take? Check out this handy guide below:
[P] – Check material specifications. What size and profile is the axle (for example, 45mm Square)
[T] – Overall axle length (tip to tip)
[F] – Hub face to hub face measurement
[A] – Chassis width
[C] – Tyre clearance
[B] – Back offset
[H] – Tyre to chassis
[G] – Axle pad centres
Identifying Bearing Combinations
You will also need to identify your bearing combination which can be done by pulling off a hub and bearings, and locating the number laser engraved onto the bearing. You will require both the inner and the outer bearing number.
How to calculate total axle length
The Face to Face measurements to calculate Tip to Tip measurement is as follows: –
- S/L 10” Electric Drum – 103mm
- S/L 150mm Lazy – 100mm
- 10” Disk Rotor – 98mm
- PLL 10” Electric Drum – 122mm
- 2T 12” Electric Drum – 172mm
- 2T 205mm Lazy – 172mm
Solid Axles rarely causes problems.
50mm square parallel axle can vary greatly in price. Axles are manufactured in a variety of places, India, China, Malaysia, Australia.
The only real problems come from imported steel causing steel fractures along the beam and in the consistent hardness of the beam.
Other Common Problems and Tips:
If your 50mm square parallel trailer, caravan axle is not properly engineered you may experience excessive bearing wear.
- Rough seal journals can cause a loss of grease through the rear seal.
- Some suppliers supply non-virgin steel or scrap steel and forge this steel into solid square or round shape for axle production. Always ask for Australian Steel.
- Chinese bearings are the second biggest cause of axle failure.
- If you plan to get onto a highway, use Japanese bearings.
- The combination of Japanese Bearings and 50mm Square Axle will help you greatly with lower maintenance for your rig.
- Are your tandem tyres wearing unevenly? How to Align Caravan Wheels
- Axle Steel explained.
We rarely have problems with these larger kits.
A Couplemate assembled axle with Japanese bearings gives you our unconditional guarantee of a well made, well-backed axle assembly.
More axles and their maximum rating can be found here.
- 39mm Round Axle – 750kg
- 39mm Round Galvanised Axle – 750kg
- 40mm Square Axle – 1000kg
- 40mm Square Galvanised Axle – 1000kg
- Round Axle 45mm – 1450kg
- 45mm Round Galvanised Axle – 1450kg
- Square Axle 45mm – 1450kg
- 45mm Square Parallel – 1600kg
- 45mm Galvanised Square Axle – 1450kg
- 50mm Round Axle – 2250kg
- 50mm Galvanised Square Axle – 1450kg
- 60mm Round Axle – 3000kg
- 60mm Galvanised Round Axle
50mm Square Axle Caravan Trailer Boat
Couplemate Trailer Parts sells only the best quality 50mm Square Axle and caravan spare parts throughout Australia.
Customers are welcome to either pickup or take advantage of our low freight rates. Express shipping to Melbourne, Sydney, Brisbane, Perth, Adelaide, Darwin, and Hobart.
We also ship products to New Zealand via Australia Post Air Express.
© Steve Wotherspoon August 13, 2014. Images and text may be copied, provided a link back to the copied page and the source is displayed where the content or image is located.