Last updated on November 23rd, 2019 at 10:38 am
Electric Brake Conversion Kit converts an unbraked trailer into an electric braked trailer using the same axle.
Activate the caravan or trailer brakes from a brake controller in the tow vehicle or some states, located on the trailer chassis.
Standard highway magnets are installed; however, Al-ko also makes a very good offroad magnet as an optional extra. A wide selection of 10″ drums is available including 5 and 6 stud Landcruiser and Landrover.
Firstly, you need to measure from the tip of your axle to the shoulder or unmachined section.
- 128mm is suited to electric brakes; this weld ring is the most common. (round internal)
- 115mm is suited to marine brakes and requires a special weld ring to fit. (square internal size – 40mm, 45mm and 50mm)
Select your weld ring from the drop-down menu.
Brake Kit Install method #1
When fitting your electric weld ring, ensure there is pressure against the rear shoulder and quickly tack the four corners. You are now ready to weld the weld ring into place.
Brake Kit Install method #2
- Bolt the weld ring to the backing plate.
- Slide the backing plate onto the axle.
- Install the drum onto the axle and tighten (no grease in the bearings at this stage.)
- Pull the backing plate into the drum and then tighten the brake shoes, so they firmly engage the drum.
- Tap the backing plate, so it is Concentrix with the drum.
- Tighten the shoes against the drum firmly.
- Tack the backing plate on the four corners.
- Remove the drum.
- Finish the weld and proceed to do the same at the other end of the axle.
Trailer parts include:
- Electric Backing plates x 2
- 7/16″ Nylocks for backing plates x 8
- Slimline or Parallel bearings x 2
- 10″ Electric Drum x 2
- Weld rings x 2
- Wheel nuts