Electric Brake Conversion Kit
Electric Brake Conversion Kit converts an unbraked trailer into an electric braked trailer using the same axle.
Activate the caravan or trailer brakes from a brake controller in the tow vehicle or in some states, located on the trailer chassis.
Standard highway magnets are generally used however, Al-ko also make a very goodo offroad magnet. A wide selection of 10″ drums is available including Landcruiser and Landrover.
Firstly, you need to measure from the tip of your axle to the shoulder or unmachined section.
- 128mm is suited to electric brakes; this weld ring is the most common. (round internal)
- 115mm is suited to marine brakes and requires a special weld ring to fit. (square internal size – 40mm, 45mm and 50mm)
Select your weld ring from the drop-down menu.
Install method #1
When fitting your electric weld ring, ensure there is pressure against the rear shoulder and quickly tack the four corners. You are now ready to weld the weld ring into place.
Install method #2
- Bolt the weld ring to the backing plate.
- Slide the backing plate onto the axle.
- Install the drum onto the axle and tighten (no grease in the bearings at this stage.)
- Pull the backing plate into the drum and then tighten the brake shoes, so they firmly engage the drum.
- Tap the backing plate, so it is Concentrix with the drum.
- Tighten the shoes against the drum firmly.
- Tack the backing plate on the four corners.
- Remove the drum.
- Finish the weld and proceed to do the same at the other end of the axle.
Electric Braking System Kit includes:
- Electric Backing plates x 2
- 7/16″ Nylocks for backing plates x 8
- Slimline or Parallel bearings x 2
- 10″ Electric Drum x 2
- Weld rings x 2
- Wheel nuts