Electric Brake Conversion Kit
Electric brake conversion kit converts an unbraked trailer into an electric braked trailer or camper using the same axle.
Couplemate sells only the highest quality electric backing plates, Japanese bearings and Australian made Couplemate Drums.
How to select the correct weld ring?
Firstly, examine the bearing profile to determine whether a marine or electric turn weld ring is required for your axle
- An electric turn measures 128mm for slimline and 140mm for parallel bearings, from the top of the axle to the back shoulder
- A marine turn measures 115mm for slimline bearings from the tip of the axle to the back shoulder
(from the image) Use the square hole weld ring for marine turn and the round hole for electric turn axles.
Select your weld ring from the drop-down menu. Note: Electric weld rings are not suitable for hydraulic brakes.
Activate the caravan or trailer brakes from a brake controller in the tow vehicle or some states, located on the trailer chassis.
Standard highway magnets are installed in all conversion kits; however, Al-ko also makes a perfect offroad magnet as an optional extra. A wide selection of 10″ drums is available including 5 and 6 stud Landcruiser and Landrover.
Brake Kit Install method #1
When fitting your electric weld ring, ensure there is pressure against the rear shoulder and quickly tack the four corners. You are now ready to weld the weld ring into place.
Brake Kit Install method #2
- Bolt the weld ring to the backing plate
- Slide the backing plate onto the axle
- Install the drum onto the axle and tighten (no grease in the bearings at this stage)
- Pull the backing plate into the drum and then tighten the brake shoes, so they firmly engage the drum
- Tap the backing plate, so it is Concentrix with the drum
- Tighten the shoes against the drum firmly
- Tack the backing plate on the four corners
- Remove the drum
- Finish the weld and proceed to do the same at the other end of the axle
Trailer parts include:
- Electric Backing plates x 2
- 7/16″ Nylocks for backing plates x 8
- Slimline or Parallel bearings x 2
- 10″ Electric Drum x 2
- Weld rings x 2
- Wheel nuts
Couplemate Trailer Parts sells only the best quality Electric Trailer Brake Conversion Kit and caravan spare parts throughout Australia.
Customers are welcome to either pickup or take advantage of our low freight rates. Express shipping to Melbourne, Sydney, Brisbane, Perth, Adelaide, Darwin, and Hobart.
We also ship products to New Zealand via Australia Post Air Express.
© Steve Wotherspoon September 11, 2018. Images and text may be copied, provided a link back to the copied page and the source is displayed where the content or image is located.
Last Updated on